Sunday Reading :: Week 9

Most, if not all, of the previous Sunday readings have been poems or essays that are perhaps more suited for a wedding.

It's good to break the rules once in a while and it's my blog so I can make the rules so today I have one of my favorite Lewis Carroll poems for you. I thought of this when Paul and I watched the new Alice in Wonderland film last night - Johnny Depp was pretty good as the Mad Hatter but not as good as say The Nightmare before Christmas which is a genius Tim Burton film.

Beautiful Soup by Lewis Carroll

BEAUTIFUL Soup, so rich and green,
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!

Beau--ootiful Soo-oop!
Beau--ootiful Soo-oop!
Soo--oop of the e--e--evening,
Beautiful, beautiful Soup!

Beautiful Soup! Who cares for fish,
Game, or any other dish?
Who would not give all else for two
Pennyworth only of Beautiful Soup?
Pennyworth only of beautiful Soup?

Beau--ootiful Soo-oop!
Beau--ootiful Soo-oop!
Soo--oop of the e--e--evening,
Beautiful, beauti--FUL SOUP!


As I'm typing this I'm actually thinking what a marvellous poem this would be to perhaps read before dinner at a wedding. Assuming there would be beautiful soup to eat. And you'd definitely need the right kind of person to read it.

And although it's not green, it's certainly beautiful. Here's the lobster bisque from Lauren & Aladin's wedding last Saturday. I'm hungry now.

No comments