Wedding preparation...

It's 12:38am and I just got home from the beautiful wedding of Prameela & Geoff at Tower Hill Botanical Gardens in Boylston, MA.

Driving today it struck me that I totally have a little pre-wedding routine going on and seeing as it's been a couple of days since I've posted I thought I'd share it with you. If you're here for the pretty pictures - feel free to skip this and come back tomorrow ;)

The day before a wedding:
- Charge all batteries including spares (this is no easy feat and involves 12 electrical outlets)
- Format around 128GB of memory cards
- Load new batteries in all flashes/pocket wizards etc
- Pack Think Tank bag with camera body, back-up camera body, back-up, back-up camera body, bunch of lenses (14-24 2.8, 50 1.4, 105 2.8 Macro, 35 2, 10.5 fisheye), multiple flashes and other fun stuff
- Load shootsac bag with favorite lenses, usually the 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and other essentials such as small sewing kits and selection of bandaids
- Load lightstands, umbrella adaptors, honl grids and other equipment for off-camera flash lighting into bag
- Print out directions to all locations (in case GPS and iphone should fail)
- Print out "homework" document by bride with key info
- Print out copy of timeline/program if provided
- Confirm time/location details with assistant/second photographer
- Fill car with gas

The morning of a wedding:
- Load all of above equipment into car
- Check trunk of car contains additional supplies including a large selection of different colored umbrellas (in case of rain) and satin padded hangers (in case of wedding dress being on ugly wire hanger)
- Apply thick layer of sunscreen for outdoor ceremonies. A sunburned photographer is not a happy photographer
- Start driving with essential pitstop to McDonald's for giant bucket of diet coke (other fast food diet coke is not acceptable)
- Head to ceremony/reception location to set up lighting or bride's location for getting ready pictures with loud music playing

This 2010 wedding season I have mostly been listening to Florence + The Machine in the car (last year was the Ting Tings - especially "That's not my name"). The criteria for my pre-wedding music is that I have to be able to sing along really loud.

I am terrible singer, horribly out of tune but I think there's nothing better than singing your heart out in the privacy of your own car. Plus it ensures I arrive for each wedding not only full of diet coke but with a good song in my head and a smile on my face :)

I just heard that Florence + The Machine were nominated for a VMA, Video of the Year no less! "Dog Days are Over" is probably my favorite song on the CD (other than #9) so I looked up the video and it's so crazy that I thought I'd share it with you. If you're in work and you can't turn the sound up you might want to check back when you get home as you REALLY need sound.

I think the blue back up singers are just brilliant (they appear at 0:28):


Like? Not like? What's your favorite song to sing out loud to in the car? Or maybe you only sing in public...

4 comments

  1. wow Leah, great post...
    you pack a lot of equipment with you! You must be so buff! My variation would be stocking up on Gatorade and granola bars and dress up in my ninja attire~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That song is SO catchy! Crazy video for sure. Now it's stuck in my head . . . THANKS LEAH :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jules I think that will be the only time the word "buff" is used as a description for me ;) it's all thanks to my ThinkTank roller with wheels!!! I did break out from my usual black pants, top, shoes to a black linen dress with ballet flats recently - much cooler in the August heat!

    @Jenn - check out the Ting Tings next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of stuff! Really helpful post.

    ReplyDelete